Home  •   Field Guide  •   Forums  •   Unread Posts  •   Maps  •   Find a Hike!  •    Register  •   Search  •  
Jump to:  
Login  | 

Board index » Trail Talk » Trip Reports

Post subject: 4/8/12 Coyote Wall & New Trail Exploration
 Post Posted: April 8th, 2012, 8:49 pm 

We headed out east today to enjoy the warmth and sun at Coyote Wall. We intended on doing the loop but never found the trail that led back down the wall. Getting lost led us to a new trail system we had no idea about!

First let me begin by saying it was very crowded with mostly bikers but with some hikers also! We started at a parking area near the Rowland lake area that is east of Coyote Wall.
Attachment:
1 Start hike near Rowland Lake parking area_(1).JPG
1 Start hike near Rowland Lake parking area_(1).JPG [ 217.97 KiB | Viewed 688 times ]

We walked up the trail/road and stopped to appreciate the first waterfall we encountered!
Attachment:
2 Falls on road going to trail_(1).JPG
2 Falls on road going to trail_(1).JPG [ 176.76 KiB | Viewed 688 times ]

Continuing down the road a few blocks we turned right to start our ascent towards the Coyote Wall trail. As everyone knows the trail meanders around quite a bit and you will come upon a cascade of waterfalls that is great eye candy!
Attachment:
3 Falls on trail during ascent_(1).JPG
3 Falls on trail during ascent_(1).JPG [ 300.84 KiB | Viewed 688 times ]

We hiked a short distance up the trail and came to an intersection that led to a pond and view that afforded a bit of solitude on this crowded trail!
Attachment:
4 Nice pond just off main trail_(1).JPG
4 Nice pond just off main trail_(1).JPG [ 312.16 KiB | Viewed 688 times ]

And there was also a nice hazy view of Mt. Hood.
Attachment:
5 Hazy view of Mt. Hood near pond area_(1).JPG
5 Hazy view of Mt. Hood near pond area_(1).JPG [ 150.54 KiB | Viewed 688 times ]

Looking up in the sky I noticed what I thought was a bald eagle flying overhead, but I'm no expert.
Attachment:
6 Bald eagle flying overhead.jpg
6 Bald eagle flying overhead.jpg [ 466.79 KiB | Viewed 688 times ]

And looking down in the grasses beside the trail there were many blooming flowers. I seem to remember that much larger bouquets bloom a bit later but all the flowers were quite small.
Attachment:
7 Flowers in bloom_(1).JPG
7 Flowers in bloom_(1).JPG [ 234.62 KiB | Viewed 688 times ]

We finally got to the intersection with the trail that climbed up the wall and started the ascent!
Attachment:
8 Hiking up wall_(1).JPG
8 Hiking up wall_(1).JPG [ 185.42 KiB | Viewed 688 times ]

And we kept hiking up the wall and admiring the hazy views until we entered the forested area near the top of the wall. We saw an absolutely amazing amount of downed debris that a biker said was due to an ice storm that caused many branches to break off. However, we also saw a large number of chainsaw cuts that made it look like the forest service had thinned the trees!
Attachment:
9 Enter forested area_(1).JPG
9 Enter forested area_(1).JPG [ 230.98 KiB | Viewed 688 times ]

We reached a road/trail and turned left on it. This trail follows along the wall for the entire distance and beyond, as you can see in the map at the end of the TR. We walked along this trail for a mile or so and saw that there appears to be 2 newer homes above the trail! There is a gate with warning signs indicating there is electronic surveillance. The homes do look out of place, but it appears the view for them is amazing! There is what looks like an old 1920's style truck cab next to the gate.
Attachment:
10 Gate and old 1920's truck cab_(1).JPG
10 Gate and old 1920's truck cab_(1).JPG [ 258.13 KiB | Viewed 688 times ]

We kept hiking along this trail/road while looking for the cut in of the trail that leads back down the wall toward the Coyote Wall TH but never saw it! We asked some bikers if they knew where the trail cuts in and they thought it was further down the road. We kept walking and walking but never found the trail! We finally came to a parking area and thought it would show up soon, so we walked some more. While walking we looked off to the right, just past another home, and turned back after some investigation of the area. There were some nice views of Mt. Hood and the Gorge at the bend in the road!

The view of the Columbia River Gorge on the way back was breathtaking!
Attachment:
14 Gorge view on way back to car_(1).JPG
14 Gorge view on way back to car_(1).JPG [ 113.96 KiB | Viewed 688 times ]

Sorry, but I deleted some info and pictures per responses about some trails that are on private land that evidently isn't appropriate to put in the public domain. I'm also sorry about the messed up TR but don't want to ruin things for other bikers/hikers! This is a harsh lesson for me and I apologize for displaying info that should be kept private, and had no intentions of increasing traffic on private lands.

Last edited by mileagemike25000 on April 10th, 2012, 4:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: 4/8/12 Coyote Wall & New Trail Exploration
 Post Posted: April 9th, 2012, 7:16 am 

So it's a bit hard to tell from the map, but the junction that you missed is probably near or just before your red flag marker in your map. There are parallel trails there and you need to stay close to the cliff to see it. It's just past a spot where a dirt road heads up and to the right, and into the homes. I've got a GPS track of this somewhere, but it is not handy now.

The trail you ended up on that you only went a short distance on connects to the Hospital Hill area above Bingen and White Salmon. It is private land owned by the Krebs family. They graze cows on the land for a few months of the year (they should be arriving later this month), but the land is open to hikers and bikers and the occasional parapent.

Post Posted: April 9th, 2012, 9:06 am 

the majority of your route is one of the most popular mt bike trails in the region... aka "little moab" due to its rocky and rugged trail surface. It would be no surprise on any given weekend to be swarmed by riders coming down that portion. I have not been there in a while so I can't recall the shortcut you were looking for, but if your considering a return trip to explore the trails beyond that gate over to White Salmon take the uphill trail and head out yonder.... prepare for a long day and more cyclists, you might consider a car shuttle for that, I've ridden from both ends and back and its a full day by bike. I love the trail names the cyclists give this area... little moab, loose Lucy, crybaby, triple bypass are a few but you wont find any maps for respect of the land owners that many of these trails cross over their property.

the bird is a vulture

http://www.escapetothewilderness.com/

Post Posted: April 9th, 2012, 9:45 am 

Hey MM, here's a GE grab from my CuriousGorgeBlog of the hiking route I recommend on Coyote Wall (entry #96):
Attachment:
coyote-3.jpg
coyote-3.jpg [ 770.64 KiB | Viewed 609 times ]

....but, I think the Forest Service just recently closed the lower portion of this trail due to its conflicts with private lands. In my pic The Wizard is located on your map at exactly the obscured 1600 foot contour on the wall. To find the hard-to-find and hard-to-describe trail junction you were apparently looking for off the Courtney Rd, you woulda have had to descend the road about a half mile from thee gorge-view overlook corner (where the Hospital Hill trail junctioned). The FS may have already obliterated this trail junction as part of their area closing.
The Hospital Hill trailhead does indeed access a number of loop trails on the private Kreps Ranch lands. The Kreps graciously allow us locals to ride and hike on their property, but they attempt to discourage anyone (including me) from further popularizing the trail network on their private lands. Explore yes...but please don't post TR's about this private land, as it may jeopardize ongoing/future access. I've honored their request not to include any of their lands in my book.

.............On another FYI note to all those who'll read this thread...The entire Coyote Wall area is hyper-popular with Mtn bikers....but this spring it will be positively jam-packed with Mtn bikers way more than normal because the mid-winter ice storm that ravaged the central gorge has completely closed-down Mt biking access to the popular Hood River Post Canyon biking area, as well as many other local myn biking trails. Thus, the "Syncline" is the one of the only place to bike in the Gorge this spring. Expect HUGE mtn bike crowds from Coyote Wall to Catherine Creek.
cheers, scott

Post Posted: April 9th, 2012, 5:56 pm 

I hiked the 'long loop' (counterclockwise) as described in the field guide a month or two ago. The trailhead leading to the Coyote Canyon trail from Courtney Road (where your confusion was at its height) was covered in felled trees in such a manner that it appeared someone was trying to block access to the trail. A private property owner?? If I didn't know exactly where the trailhead was, we would never have found it.

Post Posted: April 9th, 2012, 8:01 pm 

I have hiked the long loop before but I didn't see any signs of the trail, and neither did any of the bikers we bumped into! The amount of debris under the canopy was so large that I thought there was selective thinning occurring. I'll have to look back at a previous hike to see where the trail cuts in.

Board index » Trail Talk » Trip Reports