Herman Creek Trailhead
From Portland Hikers Field Guide
- Latitude: 45.6817
- Longitude: -121.84543
- Maps: Portland Hikers Maps Google Earth
- Elevation: 240 feet at the trailhead, 110 feet at the winter parking
- Driving time from Portland: 1 hour
Hikes starting here
- Benson Plateau Loop Hike (TH | <-- --> | LOG)
- Casey Creek Loop Hike (TH | <-- --> | LOG)
- Herman Creek Pinnacles Hike (TH | <-- --> | LOG)
- Herman Creek-Wyeth Hike (TH | <-- --> | LOG)
- Indian Point Loop Hike (TH | <-- --> | LOG)
- Nick Eaton Ridge Loop Hike (TH | <-- --> | LOG)
- Rainy Lake via Gorton Creek Trail Hike (TH | <-- --> | LOG)
- Wahtum Lake via Herman Creek Hike (TH | <-- --> | LOG)
- Wahtum Lake via Pacific Crest Trail Hike (TH | <-- --> | LOG)
Take I-84 East from Portland about 40 miles and take exit 44 for Cascade Locks. Take the road through town, East, then under the freeway, continue East on the frontage road on the South side of the freeway for about 2 more miles to the Herman Creek Campground sign.
If you're going West on I-84, take exit 44 for Cascade Locks, immediately turn left and go under the freeway and then go East on the frontage road South of the freeway to Herman Creek Campground.
In the winter, there's a closed gate but there's an area right next to the frontage road where you can park. Hike up the 1/2 mile to the trailhead.
In the summer, there's a narrow paved road that goes up to the campground (to the left) and trailhead (to the right). There is room to park at the trailhead, and along the road towards the campground, but don't block the campsites in the campground.
Fees / Regulations
- Northwest Forest Pass required.
The Forest Service says this is one of the safer areas to park, because there's a permanent residence at the road and a camp host at the campground. Also, it's less well known and further from Portland. Still, you should not have valuables visible, yada, yada, yada,...