Hood River Meadows Trailhead
From Portland Hikers Field Guide
- Latitude: 45.3231
- Longitude: -121.63575
- Maps: Portland Hikers Maps Google Maps
- Elevation: 4450 feet
- Driving time from Portland: 90 minutes
Hikes starting here
- Elk Meadows Hike (TH | <-- --> | LOG)
- Elk Mountain-Elk Meadows Loop Hike (TH | <-- --> | LOG)
- Gnarl Ridge from Hood River Meadows Hike (TH | <-- --> | LOG)
- Hood River Meadows Loop Hike (TH | <-- --> | LOG)
- Umbrella Falls Loop Hike (TH | <-- --> | LOG)
Drive Highway 26 east.
From the last traffic light in Sandy (past the ARCO station), it’s 30.8 miles east through Government Camp to the junction with Highway 35 for Hood River.
Bear right here and drive 7.8 miles to make a left turn and then another quick left for the Elk Meadows Trailhead.
Drive 0.3 miles and park on the right near the trailhead signs. The sign here states that this is the "Elk Meadows and Sahalie [sic] Falls Trailhead".
There are a port-a-potty, information signs, and a picnic table at the trailhead but no water.
Hood River Meadows, proper, can be located by continuing past the trailhead, then turning left onto an abandoned segment of the original Mount Hood Loop Highway. The meadows soon come into view from the side of the old road.
If you're coming from Hood River on Highway 35, turn right at the next road after the Teacup Lake Sno-Park and Clark Creek Sno-Park. If you reach the main Mount Hood Meadows ski area road, you've gone one road too far, turn around.