From Portland Hikers Field Guide
- Hikes to this location:
- Hikes including this location:
- Latitude: 44.84668
- Longitude: -122.20886
- Maps: Portland Hikers Maps Google Maps
- Elevation: 2100 feet
Jawbone Flats was started some time around 1930 as a mining town. Mining continued in the area until 1992, when the Shiny Rock Mining company donated land in the area to the fledgling Friends of Opal Creek. In 1996, the area surrounding the town became part of the Opal Creek Wilderness.
Today the town is run by the same group, now renamed the Opal Creek Ancient Forest Center. The town is being restored as a historic center and cabins can be rented.
- Search Trip Reports for Jawbone Flats
Related Discussions / Q&A
- Search Trail Q&A for Jawbone Flats
Guidebooks that cover this destination
- See more information at Opal Creek Ancient Forest Center
- Mattisnotfrench (creator)