Rowena Plateau Hike
From Portland Hikers Field Guide
- Start point: Rowena Crest Trailhead
- End point: Rowena Plateau
- Trail Log: Trail Log
- Hike Type: Out and back
- Distance: 1.0 miles
- Elevation gain: 100 feet
- Difficulty: Easy
- Seasons: Year round
- Family Friendly: Yes
- Backpackable: No
- Crowded: Yes
This is a quite relaxing hike in the eastern end of the Columbia River Gorge.
At the Rowena Crest Trailhead, cross the highway and walk through the fence stile. The broad trail slopes gently downhill through the entire hike. This is a floral paradise in spring, with Lupine and Balsamroot in the starring roles. After about 1/10 of a mile, a side trail heads off to the right to a great viewpoint up the Gorge.
The main trail crosses a bit of a saddle and then comes to Rowena Pond. There are a couple of little paths leading to the edge of the pond, but look out for Poison Oak here. These side trails are really overgrown with the stuff.
Back on the main path, you'll find more of the same. The trail gradually descends through more beautiful flowers. There's a second pond, but it's pretty impossible to see for the undergrowth. Eventually, the trail ends at a viewpoint looking west down the Columbia River. Return the way you came, or explore some of the less developed side paths.
- Maps: Hike Finder
Regulations or restrictions, etc
- Dogs are prohibited on Nature Conservancy lands
- Search Trip Reports for Rowena Plateau Hike
- (Click here to add your own)
Related Discussions / Q&A
Guidebooks that cover this hike
- Day Hike! Columbia Gorge, by Seabury Blair, Jr.
- 60 Hikes within 60 Miles of Portland, by Paul Gerald
- Afoot and Afield Portland/Vancouver, by Douglas Lorain
- 35 Hiking Trails, Columbia River Gorge, by Don & Roberta Lowe
- Columbia River Gorge, 42 Scenic Hikes, by Don & Roberta Lowe
- Hiking the Columbia River Gorge - 1st and 2nd Editions, by Russ Schneider
- 100 Hikes in Northwest Oregon - 3rd Edition, by William L Sullivan
- See more information at Describe the link here
- Stevefromdodge (creator)