Silver Star Mountain
From Portland Hikers Field Guide
- Hikes to this location:
- Latitude: 45.74704
- Longitude: -122.23826
- Maps: Portland Hikers Maps Google Maps
- Elevation: 4390 feet
Silver Star Mountain, commonly called just "Silver Star" is a bald, exposed peak in Skamania County in Southwest Washington not far from the eastern limits of Vancouver. It is one of the most prominent peeks on the eastern horizon looking from Portland and visible from places all over the Columbia River Gorge. Silver Star is a popular destination due to the fantastic 360 degree panoramic viewpoint from the top. On a clear day you can see five Cascade volcanoes: Rainier, St Helens, Adams, Hood and Jefferson. It is a former lookout site, as evidenced by a leftover foundation on the summit.
There are many approaches to climbing Silver Star. The three most popular options are Silver Star Trail #180 from the north, the easiest of the three, Blue Grouse Trail #180F from the south, the most varied, but with the most elevation gain, and the Bluff Mountain Trail from the east, much longer but a lot quieter.
No matter which of the three you select, you'll spend at least part of your journey surrounded by vast meadows on all sides. Depending on the time of year these meadows are filled with abundant wildflower blooms. The USGS has provided a quick reference you can download to help identify each species.
The Chinook Trail Association has been building a system of trails from Yacolt to Three Corner Rock with Silver Star Mountain as its crown jewel. This network is part of a large scale plan to connect existing trails all along SW Washington.
Silver Star is a very popular destination among hiking clubs, but it gets passed over by many due to the perception of the difficulty in getting to one of the main trailheads. True, you must traverse miles forest roads whose conditions are inconsistent from season to season. This author has made the trek on a half dozen occasions with nothing but a low clearance passenger car, and had few problems (had to navigate around some large pot holes in places!)
- Search Trip Reports for Silver Star Mountain
- Silver Star Mountain 2/5/2007
- Silver Star Mountain Hike 7/23/06
- Silver Star Mountain via Bluff Mountain Trail 6/24/06
- Silver Star Mountain via Ed's Trail 6/17/06
(Click here to add your own)
Related Discussions / Q&A
- Search Trail Q&A for Silver Star Mountain
- Highpointing (re: nearby Sturgeon Rock)
- Getting started geocaching (re: caches on this and other Mts.)
- Sturgeon Rock identity problem solved!
- Secret Gorge hikes divulged (brief mention)
(Click here to ask a question or start a conversation)
- Chinook Trail association
- Brian Jenkin's SummitPost page
- NWHiker.com: North loop hike #50
- NWHiker.com: South loop hike #51
- Adam Schneider: wildflower photos
- BSA's Silver Star page
- user:jeffstatt (primary)